Carrie Furnace. The furnaces are rare examples of pre-WW II iron making technology. Opened in 1884, the site is a relic of the industrial age that gave Pittsburgh its identity. The furnaces produced iron for the Homestead Works from when they were built in 1907 to 1978. During the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, Carrie 6 and 7 consumed approximately four tons of raw materials comprised of iron ore, coke, and limestone for every ton of iron produced.
The Carrie Funrnace site, along with the Pump House (a trailhead across the river), are owned and operated by the Rivers of Steel Heritage Corporation.
For more information about tours that Rivers of Steel has at the site (which is not open to the public at this time except for tours and special events), please click here.